You can use the Lesson Builder to create resources with both instructor and student facing views.
This means that instructors can view the resource that is customized for instruction, and students can view the resource that is customized for their learning needs. The Lesson Builder is designed for students between kindergarten to grade 12.
When you create a resource in Lesson Builder, you are able to include overviews and pedagogical supporting text for both instructions and students. The Lesson Builder can consist of sequenced tasks, in which you incorporate a step-by-step approach to instruction and learning. Each task can have associated resources available for download.
- Level-specific descriptive information - describe your resource emphasizing higher education subjects and content.
- Remix and customize - you can remix and reorder the tasks to meet the needs of your students.
- Robust editing tools - you can create tables, add links and format resources.
Note: To create a lesson on the Resource Bank, you must create an account or log in.
Create your lesson
To get started, click Create at the top of your screen. Then select the Start Building button in the Lesson Builder block.
Stages of creating a resource in Lesson Builder
There are two stages to creating an educational resource in Lesson Builder: Lesson Details and Describe.
Lesson Details is where you enter a title, provide an overview, include materials, add resources, and insert step-by-step tasks.
1. Enter a name for your lesson.
2. Upload an image from your computer or the web to display as the opening image for the lesson.
3. Provide an overview of the topic. Provide instructions on how instructor is to prepare for the class.
4. Click the Add Resource button to include material from an external source that will be used for instruction.
a. Enter a title for the resource.
b. Upload a file from your computer -OR-
c. Enter a URL from the web.
d. Click the Add Resource button to include additional material from an external source.
5. Click the Add a Task button to create sequential steps for both instructional and student views.
a. Enter a Task Name.
b. Include an Teacher Description under Step 1 that is viewable by the instructor only.
c. Enter Student Content that is viewable by students.
d. Click the Add Resource button to upload a resource that is downloadable by students.
6. Click the Save button once you have added a task. NOTE: Once you have clicked the Save button, you may add another task, and so on.
7. Click any of the three preview buttons to view how the lesson will be presented. Once published,
a. In Class button directs you to the eMedia page where the lesson resides.
b. Student button gives you a copy of the lesson's hyperlink.
8. Click the Next: Describe button to move to the next stage.
Once you have created your lesson, you are ready to give it a description. Describing your resource helps others easily find it in eMedia. Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are mandatory.
1. Select the appropriate Education Levels and Grades.
2. Select Subjects
3. Select Educational use
4. Select the Media formats you have included in the Lesson Details. For example, if you uploaded a video, select Video. This will be included as part of the description.
5. Click to select which language(s) are in the lesson.
The system will help you select the appropriate Copyright license based on your response to the three questions below.
6. Allow Modifications? Select how you would like your work to be used.
Choosing Yes lets other modify your work such as translating it, adapting it for a different age group, and adding additional content. Your original resource is not affected.
7. Allow Commercial Uses? Select Yes or No to indicate whether you allow your resource to be used commercially.
Choosing Yes allows your work to be used by others for commercial purposes, such as in a textbook sold for profit
8. Jurisdiction - Use the option, International, for the most recent license that is also jurisdiction-neutral and effective globally.
9. You can add standard alignment tags to your resource if desired. To do so, click to select the Education Standards menu and follow the steps to select Grade, Learning Domain, and specific Alignment Tag.
Once you are finished with changes, click the Publish Lesson button. You will receive an email notification once your lesson has been published.
See also: Usage rights